[pct-l] Bummed!!

> My friends and family are all breathing a sigh of relief. They were convinced I
> would fall down a crevasse, break a leg, be eaten by bears, and accosted by
> unfriendly locals - all in the first week. I'm torn between amusement and anger
> - I've got a lot of solo backcountry experience; enough common sense; and I've
> done a lot of PCT specific research. Do guys going solo get this response, or is
> a girl thing?

Katt,

    I think this is mostly a "girl thing". I've gotten a little concern
along that line when I've gone backpacking; sometimes even with others
from people who know nothing about backpacking.

    Then there was the time I was hiking solo, slipped crossing a log
over the West Walker River (I think) and was caught hanging on the
bottom side of the log over the stream. Fortunately for me, a couple
came along in a few minutes and aided me; otherwise I don't know how I
would have gotten out of that fix. So some times it's nice to have a
companion along,

John