[pct-l] Spring Sierras

 The whole ice axe thing kicked in on Gail's question about early June Sierra
hike on a thru trip. I love to show slides on my mid May Sierra 1977 trip to
people who come thru later. There wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't
happy a had my trusty ice axe and old style "Grivel" crampons which proved
their weight in gold. My idea was to get up early and hike on the frozen snow
till 10 or 11 am, then sit out a few hours till the snow refroze, then hike
again till I couldn't see. This is not for everybody and the slides look or
like a trip to the North Pole rather than a dance up the PCT. Boots and gear
were on a plus side for sure, but being young and dumb, it seemed fun at the
time. (  I 'm sure Greg and Jeff could tell the same story) Now days, being
weaker and only slightly smarter, I would opt. for a later start with less
gear and 803's ( But still take an ice axe for a freak storm that can still
come anytime) But for a nomal year in early June, be ready for lots of white
above 10,000. Early June can be a great adventure if your prepared on the
PCT. PS " " " GO RAIDER"S"""""