[pct-l] glissading

I only do standing glissades  - this is kind of like skiiing but
challenging in rough or icey snow. or snow that has tracks  Keep your feet
togeter , turn them in the direction you plan on going, keep your knees
bent and the tip of your ice ax on the opposite side as your top ice ax
hand and the pick in the snow as kind of a rudder.  You are also in
position to self arrest, because you really, really need to know how -
sooner or later you will hit something and go flying forward dramatically,
and already have a fair amount of speed.  It seems very few people can do
standing glissades anymore, it takes good balance and it really helps to
use a longer ax in order to develop your skills at first - both in standing
glissade and in an outward facing plunge step.

I don't like getting wet which a sitting glissade often involves.  I
usually climbed on 9-12 day trips, and could never afford the luxury of
stopping and drying out or carrying extra clothes.

Joanne

://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l