From: Ginny & Jim Owen [mailto:spiritbear2k@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 1:38 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Ice axes

Ron said,
>I don't know, maybe I missed something last summer. But I didn't see any
>section of the PCT that would require expert knowledge of ice axe usage >to

>traverse. Granted there are a few tricky places, but even they are >quite
>manageable if done in the afternoon when the snow has softened
>significantly.

Ron, you crossed the Sierras in mid-late June in a low snow year.  You
didn't experience typical conditions. Talking to Weathercarrot, only a week
behind us, there were  significant differences in the amount of snow and
snowmelt we each experienced. We left KM the 2nd and were very glad we had
the ice axes.  We know a couple of people who had to self-arrest (one
twice).  When the trail is buried under snow, it is very easy to find
yourself in an unsafe situation as you bushwhack up to the passes.  I agree,

it is important to know how to walk in snow, but proper use of an ice axe is

part of that.  We had a couple of days where the temp never did warm up
enough to soften the snow much. Being able to dig the ice axe in kept me
from needing to self-arrest.
Ginny