[pct-l] Ice Axes - One last comment - Promise!

First let me say the ice axe is a great tool (aside from just saving your
life in the case of a fall). It's good for maintaining balance, digging
steps, propping up packs, digging cat holes and a thousand other uses. There
are even people who've faithfully carried their trusted steeds the entire
length of the PCT.

Exactly why is not always clear. But hey to each his own. After all a guy
just finished hiking the AT carrying a tuba, so I really can't say too much
bad about someone hauling an ice axe a couple thousand needless miles.

Despite all of it's fabulous uses there is one analogy I left out in the
earlier discussion. To me the ice axe is a lot like a seatbelt when your
driving alone on some isolated road. At the time you realize you need it,
you've already made several other bad decisions that let up to this event.

With a car they don't really test you on your ability to buckle your
seatbelt. (Though they do tend to frown a lot these days if you try to take
a driving test while not wearing one.) They do test you on your ability to
drive and handle a car.

When traveling over snow it's equally important to know when's the best time
and under what conditions, how different footwear effects your stability or
ability to kick steps or edge, how to ascend, descend or traverse a slope in
a secure manor, bad ice vs. good ice, and on and on.

So if you know how to self arrest but don't know how to walk across snow,
you're not really helping your chances of adding your genetic stuff to the
human gene pool.

Enough said!

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak