[pct-l] Re: self arrests

Joanne,

Last comments on subject:

I know full well what can happen with a fall. You don't have to carry many
bodies off a mountain to get that picture driven home in your head. I've
carried the bodies of climbers completely outfitted with ice axes, crampons
and helmets off mountains. I also appreciate the need to prepare and train
for different circumstances.

That said, I also think the dangers implied on a PCT hike in early June are
often overblown. Neither do I lightly dismiss travel across snow fields or
fording raging streams.  There are however steps one can take avoid many of
those problems. They are far better and more thoroughly explained in a
number of books, than I can do so here.

While forms like this are good for discussing fine points of different
topics. Too little time is spent on a wide range of individual core topics
that work together to form a cohesive whole. The topic of snow travel comes
up, the quick 10 second response is to get an ice axe, learn it and use it.
In the process ignoring all other important aspects of snow travel that
aren't as easily and succinctly stated.

It's like when someone is found dead from hypothermia and wearing cotton.
Generally the first, last and only response is "Cotton Kills". As if a new
breed of genetically enhanced cotton has been grown that kills hikers once
they are a mile beyond the nearest road.

Do I believe getting, learning about it and using an ice axe is important?
Yes, but its only one part in a bigger picture and it's not always the most
important part.

Feel free to disagree!

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak