[pct-l] Self Arrests

Gail asks>> I live in SC.  How do I learn to do a self arrest before I hit
the Sierras in
June...on my way down the mountain?  <<

Gail,

You've asked a good question. One lot's of people often wonder about.

Years ago when I was heavy into Mountain Rescue, I used to teach ice axe
self arrest techniques for a local Parks and Recreation program. Not having
practiced it in years I expected to go up to Mt. Hood sometime last summer
with my son and spend a day learning how to arrest from the different
positions.

Well we never made it to the mountains. But then again most of the people we
met at Kennedy Meadows didn't have much of a clue either. Most didn't know
hold an ice axe when hiking, let alone us it correctly.

This year it didn't turn out to be a problem. One could easily travel the
entire section without an ice axe. While the same may not be true next
summer, if I were you I don't think I'd sweat it too much.

If the snow is high, chances are you'll be able to hook up with someone on a
moderate slope to play around for an hour or two before crossing any
dangerous snow slope.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000