[pct-l] Ice Axe +/- Clearanc

Hi ->  These are described as having positive clearance and negative =
>clearance.  In a positive tip design, the tip of the pick angles away =
>from the shaft of the axe... kind of like this:>
>     ____________
>    /_____   _____|
>          | |

>In a negative tip design, the pick angles towards the shaft, like this:>
>     ____________
>     \____   _____|
>          | |

>Now, the ice axe info at REI says that a postive clearance design is =
>better for self arrest and that a negative clearance design is better =
>for overhead hooking in ice climbing.  On the other hand, Climbing =
>magazine's online site argues that a =
>negative tip design is superior because the postive tip can catch in =
>hard snow and yank the axe away... they state that a postive tip is used =
>for vertical ice tools.

The 4th edn. of _Mountaineering:_The_Freedom_of_the_Hills_ agrees with REI
on the matter of self-arrest.  Picks with positive clearance, it says, do a
good job of biting into the surface.  Picks with negative clearance tend to
skate or drag along the surface.  That's a rather old edition I've quoted
from, however; does anyone have a current edition they can consult to see if
perhaps this information has been revised?