[pct-l] help/boots

The New Balance 803 was the most common shoe on the PCT this summer. We saw
them on both men and women.

Marcia wore 3 pair of 803's and a pair of New Balance 801's. The 801's were
not acceptable to Marcia. She loved the 803's. She adds Super Feet inserts
because of a high arch. Several reasons she likes the 803's:  light weight;
attached tongues and the fabric kept out most of the trail dust; they dried
fast after getting wet; aggressive tread design: comfortable out of the box.

We believe in keeping as much weight off our feet as possible. It took me a
long time to accept this principle, but for long distance hiking it really
makes a difference.

She wore them thru the Sierras in June. We kicked steps with them to climb
the passes (snow not frozen ice).  She wore them thru the many stream
crossings. After the crossings we kept hiking to keep generating heat to dry
out the shoes and other clothing. Her shoes were dry long before the Hi-Tech
shoes I wore.