[pct-l] Re: help w/boots

From: "JoAnn M. Michael" <jomike@snowcrest.net>
I am seriously considering a Lowa boot.  More specifically I'm considering
Lady Tanark, Lady Scout and Lady Baffin. Thanks,

JoAnn
I set off from Campo in Lowa Hiking mid top boots which had a couple of
hundred miles on them.  They were comfortable from day one even though I had
a big toe broken at both joints.
The rocking style of the soft sole on the Hiking Lowa coupled with the
rounding of the toe and heel made them dangerous on snow.  I slipped very
easily and often and it was not possible to easily kick steps.  By Woods
Creek the boots were completely broken down.  The soles were almost smooth
and the uppers were falling apart.  Lowa replaced them free of charge with a
pair of their Backpacking mid top boots which take crampons.  I think these
boots would have been comfortable too but the non flexible sole had me
walking in pain because of my toe and they were too big.  These boots took
me to Tahoe where I thankfully replaced them.  The second pair of Lowa NEVER
dried.  They had a lot of padding around the ankle area which soaked up
water, filling the boot with water, making them very heavy and keeping the
leather soaked - even in town they didn't dry for a couple of days.
I would recommend the Lowa very highly for normal hiking and backpacking.  I
intend to buy another pair but not ones with all the padding.  For me quick
drying is right up there with comfort and utility.
Helen