[pct-l] Ice Axe Questions

Carl,

I would think so too, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  Here's how the
one's I've found stack up:

    Grivel Pamir - relatively light, negative clearance
    Advanced Base Camp Massif - relatively light, postitive clearance
    REI Ice Axe (SMC Shuksan is the same) - heavier, positive clearance (I
think they changed
            it for this year... the Climbing review implied negative
clearance, but REI says positive and
            that's how the pictures look)
    Hugh Banner Glacier - heavier, positive clearance
    SOP Helios (http://sopgear.com/helios.htm) axes - feather weight,
agressive positive clearance

Very odd...

By the way, ABC (http://www.advancedbasecamp.com) carries a couple of axes
with telescoping shafts.  If they are sturdy enough, they would be great for
treking.

Also, the SOP Helios axes I mentioned above are available in custom lengths
at no extra charge.  You can take your choice of steel or titanium heads,
and titanium or aluminum shafts.  The titanium head/aluminum shaft is
extremely light and relatively inexpensive.  I can't speak to how well they
work, as I have little experience and have only seen their web page.

-- Jim