[pct-l] Ice Axe Questions

CMountainDave@aol.com writes:

<< Some people say to wear
 it on steep snow slopes so that you won't lose it if you slip and need to
 self arrest, but I disagree. >>

I had to self arrest on a climb a couple of years ago on a steep slushy
slope.  I gained momentum so fast that when I did get the axe around into
position it was ripped from my hands.  If I did not have the wrist loop on it
would have been lost and I would have increased my speed to a surely
semi-fatal speed and would not have been able to avoid a large boulder in my
path.  As it was, I regained control of the axe and brought myself into
control. I would much rather be gored by the axe than smash into rocks at 60
miles per hour!  You make the choice.  Try not to make a dumb one.

Greg "Strider" Hummel