[pct-l] Re: PCT-L digest, Vol 1 #3 - 10 msgs

Hi -

>  These are described as having positive clearance and negative =
>clearance.  In a positive tip design, the tip of the pick angles away =
>from the shaft of the axe... kind of like this:
>
>     ____________
>    /_____   _____|
>              | |

>In a negative tip design, the pick angles towards the shaft, like this:
>
>     ____________
>     \____   _____|
>             | |

>Now, the ice axe info at REI says that a postive clearance design is =
>better for self arrest and that a negative clearance design is better =
>for overhead hooking in ice climbing.  On the other hand, Climbing =
>magazine's online site argues that a =
>negative tip design is superior because the postive tip can catch in =
>hard snow and yank the axe away... they state that a postive tip is used =
>for vertical ice tools.

I agree with Climbing Mag -- I think the top one would
pretty violent for a self arrest on ice.  I'd bet that
most 90 cm axes would have picks like the bottom one.

>Finally, for snow travel the idea of a snow basket on the spike of the =
>ice axe seems like a great idea.  I think someone on this list mentioned =
>seeing one, and I saw it mentioned in "Mountaineering: Freedom of the =
>Hills."  Unfortunately, I can't find any references to one on the web.  =
>If someone knows of a source for these things I would really like to =
>know.

On a related note, has anyone ever seen a snow shovel that
fits onto the spike end of an ax?? I'd like not to have to
carry both shafts whilst skiing.

Thanks--

-Carl Mears