[pct-l] Re:(pct-l)Books

I thought this book was really good. My partner even read it, and he
rarely reads books. I thought it gives a good impression of the
mistakes - all small - that can add up to become a disaster. It also
views commerciality with a non-committal empathic eye. It made the
weather we suffered from in Norway (icy rain for days) much more
bearable. We had long discussions about this wish to reach the top,
and how it seemed to overpower all else. I tend to be cautious and
prefer to go almost to the top instead of all the way if there is a
lot of danger in going higher.

Personally I also loved Cindy Ross' account of the PCT. On the road I
tend to take the lightest novel I can find and regret it later. Once,
at Kennedy Hotsprings trailhead, someone left a thriller by Faye
Kellerman. I gobbled it up as if I were addicted. Since then I know
that I should take something that I enjoy reading, and not look too
much to its weight.

I like SF books if they are good enough to question all aspects of
life as we know it. Some of them really do that. E.g.

Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham
Ender's Game (and the sequels to it), Orson Scott Card

Saskia

--
"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawn mower"