RE: [pct-l] Re: Poles

Dave wrote:

All my hiking and climbing partners swear by them. Last February I was
climbing up along the ice flow on the west side of Fritz Roy
(Argentina) and all the guides I came across were using poles instead
of ice axes.

Just thought I'd mention that hiking poles are *not* a good substitue for an
ice axe in situations where an axe is required.  They're appropriate on
moderate snow slopes or in situations where the run-out isn't life
threatening, since they reduce the likelihood that you'll slip in the first
place.  That's a good thing.

But on any slope with a bad runout that would result in major injury or
death, an ice axe is preferable so that you have a chance of surviving a
fall.  Poles are lousy for self-arrest.  There are probably people who have
used them that way, but I wouldn't recommend it.  They're too long and
unwieldly to get into the proper position, they're shaped wrong to apply the
appropriate force, and most importantly, your hands are attached to the
wrong ends.

In other words, when in the early-season Sierras, don't think you can leave
the axe home to save weight.  Every year there are people who ask if they
can do that, and the answer is generally no.

Eric

To:            pct-l@edina.hack.net