[pct-l] Re: Lightweight shelter options...

>From: Rob Cole <rob@hikefordiabetes.org>

>Ok, guys, I know we've all been through this before, but I'm in a
>pinch here.  For the longest time, a future hiking partner and I were
>considering going with some sort of ultralight tent for our hike.
>Now, though, a third person has been added to our "team," and we don't
>want to be bulked down with a three person tent...

>For a while, we were considering the Stephenson's Warmlite 2R (great
>tent), but the cost is just too much for us to handle; now we're
>leaning toward the tent + tarp setup.

Rob I gather you're considering the 2R for all three of you? That's
going to get old after awhile. A less expensive lighter alternative
would be a couple of tarps. I tested the Integral Designs SilShelter
this Summer and Fall and was surprised how well it held up in an
unexpected snow storm at just under 11,000 ft. It takes awhile to get
everything taut and it does require a pole (a hiking pole works
great). You would also have to carry a Mosquitos hoop or bivy in the
late spring/early summer.

I've collected many tents over a 30 year period but I only use one if
my wife is along and the trip is short. I love sleeping under the
stars and I only set up a tarp if there's threatening weather.

Dave

To:            pct-l@edina.hack.net