Re: [pct-l] trekking poles study

	For very steep terrain, too steep to replicate with an inclined
treadmill, I'm sold on the benefits of a pair of poles while carrying a
load.  It's like having a turbo to be able to brace, reinforce, and PULL
each step.  On a trip out of Grand Canyon this fall, we ascended the
redwall at sunset; when it got too dark to hike without flashlights, I had
to put one of my sticks in my pack so I could hold a flashlight.  From that
point on to the top of the redwall was like you'd have put ten more pounds
of weight in my pack, I couldn't believe the difference.  Late in the day
like that, when I was tired, the difference was readily apparent.
Now I don't use 'em on dayhikes since I don't see enough benefit, but for
backpacking in steep terrain I won't leave em home again.  I actually use
ski poles with the baskets knocked off that I got for $2 ea at a thrift
store.  If you go this way, by all means buy the kind that have the grips
that allow your thumbs to wrap over the top of the pole.  They're better
especially for downhilling than the traditional loop-strap topped poles.
However if you have the money for a pair of collapsible poles, advantages I
could see are not just that they'd pack easier for air travel, but that you
could get more utility out of being able to adjust the length for uphill vs
downhill travel.

Kevin Corcoran

To:            "'Ginny & Jim Owen'" <spiritbear2k@hotmail.com>, pct-l@backcountry.net