[pct-l] AT vs. PCT

A little late – but I couldn’t resist attempting to answer --

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:07:26 EST From: CitrusHicker@aol.com Subject:
[pct-l] Biggest Difference between AT Thru-Hike I'm looking for some wisdom
on what the biggest differences are between an AT Thru-hike and a PCT
Thru-hike from some experienced hikers.

1   Is the "community" that much smaller?, I know there's fewer PCT hikers
but since the weather window is so much smaller it would seem everybody
would still be pretty concentrated.

Yes, the community is smaller.  There is a big difference between 3000
starters and 300.  The  time window is small, but people still spread out
from mid-April to mid-May.  You will meet a fair number of other thruhikers
though, if you start out during that time frame, and especially if you
attend the ADZPCTKO and start out with the 50 or so who will begin the trail
that weekend.  Past the Sierras, the group thins out a lot, but we still met
a couple of thruhikers every week (for a total of about 65 long distance
hikers over 5 months), and lots of shorter term hikers and backpackers
(usually 5-10 a day.)  The main difference is that there isn’t the
shelter/designated campsite system that you have on the AT which
concentrates use so much.  You mostly meet the other thruhikers in town, but
once you leave town, people camp all over (and rarely at water sources) so
you may travel within a few miles of other hikers at much the same speed,
but never see them.  Except for the Sierras, where people tend to clump
together for safety, the only people we hiked with for more than a day on
the PCT were people we knew before we went out there, former AT hikers.
Everyone has their own sense of how fast a hike they want or are capable of
doing, and hikers tend to be more consistent on the PCT than on the AT –
there were fewer jackrabbit hikers, so we had less leapfrogging on the PCT.
The people we passed, we rarely saw again and those who passed us were never
seen again.  It makes it much harder to have a sense of community when you
only meet someone for a few hours in town, and then never see them again.
In the early days, when we met the most people, there was also the question
– how long will these people last?  A lot of those we met in the first few
weeks never intended to go all the way.  Many were gone by Big Bear.  Those
we met later on were generally speed hikers who zipped past without even a
hello, unless we met in town.  In Oregon  and northern California, many of
the places we had maildrops aren’t really towns, just resorts where hikers
generally pick up their mail and move on, so we didn’t even have that much
contact.  It was always fun when we did get to meet other hikers, but it was
also disappointing that the contact was so brief.

2. Bears are much more agressive in the west?
We had a bear eat our hung food in New Hampshire, but had no problems on the
PCT.  We were too early in the season in the Sierras and the bears we saw up
north weren’t park bears, so they didn’t bother us.  We saw more wildlife,
including bears, on the AT.

3. : Is everybody really focused on their schedule? On the AT I didn't pay
much attention because I allowed myself 7 months. Obviously the PCT requires
a faster schedule.

On the PCT, there was always the perception that we had to hurry because
winter was coming, SOON.  (In fact, we got snowed on three times in
Washington, and we finished fairly early - Sept 22.)  On the AT, when I
finished I figured I had at least 3 weeks, if not more, before winter was a
serious possibility.  (We finished Sept. 23.)  Partly because the window of
time is small, and partly because of the Jardine influence (faster is
better), partly because the trail is so easy, most of the people we met on
the PCT who finished in one year were really pushing the miles.  On the AT,
you can average 11 or 12 miles a day and still finish easily.  On the PCT,
we had to average 19 miles a day to finish.  It makes a difference.  Some
hikers decide they don’t like the push for miles and change the plan to do a
partial hike at 15 miles a day; others just grin (or grimace) and bear it.
It wasn’t that difficult to do the miles--the terrain is generally pretty
easy and the trail well graded (except in some parts of Washington)--but it
meant there was always the pressure to hike more.  The other hikers seemed
much more driven than we were.  We took time off and deliberately did short
days because we wanted to extend the hike and to enjoy it more, but a lot of
hikers ended up finishing earlier than they planned because they couldn’t
slow down once they got into the habit of pushing for miles.

Other differences – water is a constant preoccupation for much of the trail.
  The long 20-30 mile waterless stretches meant we HAD to do long days to
get to water or to set up the stretch for the next dry part.

4.  Generally speaking, a PCT thruhike is a very different experience from
an AT hike.  For me, the AT was a lot more fun, though that isn’t quite the
right word for it The AT was more satisfying in a lot of ways.  Of course,
it was also my first long hike, which makes a real difference, I think.  On
the PCT, I sometimes felt like the trail was an endurance test, not
something to be enjoyed.  On the AT, that was never an issue.  There was a
question of whether I COULD finish the AT, but never whether I wanted to.
On the PCT, I often asked myself why I was bothering.  For me, the PCT felt
more monotonous than the AT.  The push for miles was part of that,
especially in the dry stretches.  The views were often more open, (though
the PCT has its share of long green tunnel too and smog was a constant) and
there was a lot of beautiful country, but to me it seemed as if there were
fewer rewards along the way.  You almost never climb the peaks you’re
passing, see the good waterfalls, etc. unless you make a side trip or do an
alternate route off trail.  Instead the trail contours endlessly around and
around through thick brush or dense trees.  I really missed the sense of
accomplishment I had on the AT when we reached the top of the mountain,
especially the hard ones.  The passes in the Sierras and in Washington were
the only places I really had that sense of accomplishment – that and finally
crossing the California Oregon border after three months on the trail.  That
is one reason, I think, some of the hikers do the big miles.  They use
“hiked 30 miles” to give the kind of sense of accomplishment you get from
reaching the top of the mountain.  Of course, many of the hikers just slowed
down and did the off trail climbs and side trips anyway, despite the extra
miles.  We did several  -- and were glad we did.

I love the western mountains and the experience was worth doing, but it was
different from what we expected/hoped after our AT and CDT adventures.  But
then, long hikes are ALWAYS different from what you expect, one way or
another.

Ginny O