[pct-l] trekking poles study

Today's local paper (12/23/00) carried an AP story about a research
project on the benefits of hiking or trekking poles.
     Christopher Knight, an exercise physiologist, did a study and
according to his study, using poles lets hikers take longer strides,
lessens strain on knees, and generally feel more conformable. His study
tested 20 backpackers, each wearing a pike of 30% of body weight, on a
treadmill set at a 5% incline. each hiker was compared on the treadmill
test with and without the poles. He found that at least in his lab test,
the poles did not save energy; however they could not test the energy
conserving aspect of the poles helping to maintain balance on rough
terrain in the lab but think there is such an advantage.

    I use Leki poles and I do think they help my balance and lessen my
chances of falling or twisting an ankle. I've found the poles are also
useful in stream crossings to help me avoid slipping into the water.

John

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net