[pct-l] holiday visits

            Year-end holiday visits bring brothers, sisters, and in-laws who
have lifestyles and life values built around how-much, how-big, how-many,
how-important, the usual. They know, however, that things are somewhat
different around my modest homeplace where they'll find climbing and
backpacking equipment situated in unique places, with books and authors with
names of Abbey, Thoreau, Muir, Clyde resting about. They remember when I "
just left great job offers after college " and went " walking something
called the Appalachian Trail " for 6 months " and "no one actually
knew where he was ". Then, some 12 years later, " with a wife and 2 children
ages 8 and 10, actually went out west somewhere for 2 months and hiked around
in the Sierra Mountains with his children and wife, sometimes not letting
anyone know where they were for weeks! " But worse than any of those things,
rumors have been heard that I am " contemplating seriously quitting a great
job and going on another hike for 5 months......." . Voices become hushed
when the subject comes up.... Happy Holidays.

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net