Re: [pct-l] The PCT GPS Mapping Project

So is he/are you saying that the topo maps are off by that much?

That would explain my GPS experience: A few years ago, I borrowed one just
to see what it could do. While sitting on a large boulder in the middle of
the South Fork Kings River--there was no doubt in my mind about where I
was--I plotted on the map the location the GPS showed. It said I was about
1/4 mile away from the river, which was clearly in error. At the time, I
attributed it to one of the following:
* Echos off the canyon walls (is this a possible source of location errors?)
* Wrong settings on GPS (perhaps wrong datum)
* Operator error

But now you're saying the GPS is right and the map is not?

Carl Siechert
1977 Kelty Kid