[pct-l] Heavy mountaineering boots

I don't know Saskia, I think mountaineering boots could be a mistake. I took
a mountaineering class many years ago and the people running the show told me
I that those crampon friendly mountaineering boots were a necessity. I rented
a pair and got bad blisters. Then I noticed that many others into
mountaineering had trashed feet. "you'll toughen up your feet and they'll
scar over eventually" was the common refrain. I happened to own a comfortable
pair of leather hiking boots and decided to give them a try, much to the
disdain of other mountaineers. But they worked just fine even on a climb of
Mt. Rainier. I've worn wore those hiking boots on hundreds of climbs since in
complete comfort.
    Then, on the other end of the spectrum, I decided to hike the PCT and was
told via Jardine's book that light weight hiking boots were a necessity. I
went on a trial 200 mile Pct hike in those hiking boots much to the disdain
of people in the know and did just fine. Once again, I saw many people
wearing the "preferred" lightweight running shoes whose feet were trashed.
You'll never guess what I was told -- "Your feet will eventually toughen up
and scar over" was the once again common refrain. I've never been one to bend
to peer pressure, I like to reason things out for myself. Moral of the story
-- don't be talked into something because it is popular. Go with the herd and
get you'll get slaughtered with the herd. Look around and see what works and
what doesn't. A few people will do fine on the PCT in one type of
mountaineering boot or running shoe but many others will get trashed feet in
the same boot or shoe. Every year it's the same old sorry story in Big Bear
City -- dozens of hikers nursing trashed feet. In my opinion your MOST
important task is not to become one of them. Ginny's advice is VERY sound.
You just have to go with what is comfortable with you. Please don't just buy
some boot or shoe just because they are recommended. Take the time to go to a
shoe store or two and have your feet sized by someone who's been doing it for
many years and then go with something that is made for HIKING and custom fits
your feet. Mountaineering boots are made for climbing. Running shoes are made
for running. The PCT is really neither but something in between. It is a
HIKE. The best of luck to you on your up coming hike. Wish I was going again

To:            "'Saskia'" <saskia.home@wanadoo.nl>, pct-l@backcountry.net