RE: [pct-l] Shoes

Gail,

No matter what you wear through the Sierra, expect to spend sometime with
wet feet. With all the stream crossing, snow and water flowing down the
middle of the trail it can't be helped.

I did carry a pair of light Teva knockoff's from K-mart. At $6.00 and less
than 8 oz. they made good camp shoes and were quite useful for fording
streams.

Once I ditched my blister making shoes, I used NB 802's the rest of the
trail. I find that they dry quite quick even when soaking wet. I could leave
camp with soaking wet boots in the morning and arrive in camp with them bone
dry at the end of the day. On the other hand, leather boot's often take days
to dry out.

I found it quite surprising how few thru-hikers travel through the Sierra
with big boots anymore. I wouldn't worry too much though. You'll have some
700 miles to makeup your mind before you get there.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000

To:            pct-l-digest@backcountry.net