[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1344

Brett writes:

it's my feeling that raw
>food is not the same as dehydrated raw food, that pure raw food would far
>better fuel a long-distance hike, and that the Appalachian Trail is about
>the only mega trail that could allow a hiker to accomplish a pure raw
>thru-hike due to the frequency of supply points.

doug:

i agree that dehydrated food isn't raw food.  if you soak a seed, then
dehydrate it, then soak it again and try to sprout it, you'll find it
doesn't sprout.  enough 'life force' was destroyed during dehydrating to
prevent sprouting.  but is dehydrated food any worse than cooked food.  i'd
say its somewhere in between cooked and raw in terms of life force so i'd
bet you could do a long distance thru hike on dehydrated food primarily.

if you note my menu post, only three dehydrated items - almonds, raisins and
buckwheat.  could easily soak fresh buckwheat and almonds to avoid the
dehydration if you wish.

their email is raw rawfamily@hotmail.com

To:            pct-l@edina.hack.net