[pct-l] Hiking PCT east & South of Los Angeles in Jan??

I will have a day/2 to hike in southern calif--Los Angeles area and/or south
January 12, 2001. What sections of the PCT are doeable this time of year? We
want to do a long day hike, could do a 20 mile section. I assume these
southern
mt get snow, at what elevation would we encounter snow?? I see the PCT goes
through some 8000 ft San Gabriel Mt., are these hikeable. Would prefer to
not
have to use snowshoes just because we don't want to fly out w/them.

Would prefer to hike as close to LA as possible to minimize driving time.
Would
entertain other recommended hikes that are 10 miles or more, w/good 2000
elev
gain.

Please respond directly to me at lindajagger@yahoo.com. thanks