Re: [pct-l] NO Water in the Mohave Desert !!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 06:25 PM 12/10/00 , The Dude wrote:
>This is a serious matter that will affect not only PCT hikers but all the
>wildlife inthe dessert.  What is ever worse is that they are planning to
>replace the aquifer with contaminated water!!

This is not new news, and it is not quite that simple.

The "contaminated water" is actually Colorado river water. The aquifer is
not going to be "pumped completely dry" but rather will be used to store
the CO river water till it gets pumped back out in dry years.

This won't effect PCT hikers because we get our water (at Cottonwood
anyway) from water the MWD diverts from the Easter Slope of the Sierras
further north, not from the ground water

I'm not saying this is a good thing. Just that it is more complicated that
this post makes it out to be.

More reading:

Legislative Analyst's Office, September 8, 1999
http://www.lao.ca.gov/090899_water_transfers/090899_water_transfers.html

BLM   News Release
http://www.ca.blm.gov/news/mwd_cadiz_comment_extended.html

Los Angeles Times