Re: [pct-l] raw food

<<  ...we're the only species that cooks our food.  and the only species that
 experiences degenerative disease.  i think the correlation is direct. >>

Are humans really the only species that experiences degenerative diseases?  I
suspect that other critters might succumb to these if they lived long enough,
i.e., ate well enough.

Your supposition may be correct.  However, logically, one might just as well
suppose that the use of TP causes degenerative disease.  So far as I know, we
are the only species that uses that on a regular basis.  Is there any
evidence (controlled studies) which supports your opinion?

You also mentioned in an earlier note that you might get your food allocation
down to 1.5 lb per day eating raw.  Certainly there are many raw foods which
pack a lot of calories per pound, and some which supply the protein you will
need on a long hike to maintain muscle mass.  A typical thruhiker needs 5000
calories per day to even come close to maintaining body weight.  Please
provide more specific information about your proposed trail diet.

I don't think anyone packs a lighter load on the trail than Wolf, and he
maintains that a stove and fuel actually reduces total pack weight by
allowing you to use more dried foods.  Is pasta considered "raw" food?

To:            ROYROBIN@aol.com, pct-l@edina.hack.net