[pct-l] Willow Creek Fire and "Profound Perches"

Wanted to reply to two completely unrelated posts from the last list (and I
won't even try to link them together).

1) Regarding the Willow Creek fire in Holcolmb Valley (that's around Deep
creek, right?) I don't know if it will be officially open next spring or
not, but it was quite easily hikeable when we went through in May of this
year, and I imagine most thru-hikers had the same experience.  In fact, it
was quite nice having the trail officially closed, as we didn't see anyone
else on that section of trail, and the ever-popular Deep Creek hot springs
received much less traffic in the 3 days we spent there than I think it
otherwise would have.  I don't know of any thru-hikers who took the
alternative roadwalk route, and as far as I know, the only hikers who had
problems with rangers on this section of trail were Jim and Ginny, and it
sounds like they were able to talk their way out of it.  So there may be
some argument in favor of keeping that section closed, at least from an
entirely thru-hiker-centric point of view.  Just be sure to have that
thru-hiker permit handy in case you meet Ranger Unfriendly.

2) Re: "Profound Perches,"  Does anyone remember a privy a little ways off
the trail in Glacier Peak Wilderness-- about halfway through the wilderness,
just below Mica Lake and about 15 super-switchbacky miles south of the
Suiattle River?  There was a little wooden sign with the international
outhouse symbol burned into it, and you had to climb about 100 steep yards
to a minor ridgetop.  The view from the privy was about as nice as any I
have ever seen, Whitney included.  Now that was a "Profound Perch!"

Staggerin' Willie
Charter Member of T.H.A.T.H.
(Thru-Hikers Against Thru-Hiking)

To:            PCT-L@backcountry.net