[pct-l] Grapefruit Seed Extract for water treatment

Staggerin' Willie wrote:
>> When I was on the trail this year, I saw a couple of folks using some
type of grapefruit seed extract the same way-- a couple of drops per quart.
I'm not sure if that actually kills bacteria or if it's just voodoo, but
seems like at least it might add some vittamin C to the water, preventing
scurvy and related maladies...

I've used a product called Proseed, which is 60% glycerine and 40%
"Citricidal," a proprietary name for grapefruit seed extract. I believe its
primary use is in the treatment of pre-existing intestinal bacteria. Nowhere
in the literature or on the container does it mention water treatment as a
possible application. The directions read, "As a dietary supplement for
adults, thoroughly stir 5-10 drops in 6oz of water or juice 1-3 times
daily..." This would equate to 25-50 drops per quart of water of equal
solution, which is the amount used per quart by one fellow I met who was
treating his backcountry water with the product. This guy offered no real
evidence of the product's effectiveness, other than the fact that he'd been
using it for some time, and hadn't become ill. Still, as with overuse-type
arguments against iodine and chlorine on a long hiking journey, grapefruit
seed extract taken in excessive quantities may or may not be okay, and the
truth might be hard to decipher in the short term. So I don't personally
feel confident using it over iodine or chlorine, especially as I don't know
that it even works. Beyond that, 50 drops of Proseed per quart of water
makes for some pretty, er, unusual tasting refreshment.

- blisterfree

To:            reynolds@ilan.com, Montedodge@aol.com, pct-l@edina.hack.net