[pct-l] PCT Reststops

 As an outspoken hiker against fees, I must admit I would be in favor in
shelling out bucks for hightech outhouses in overused areas. Main
thru-throughfairs along the PCT in the Sierras and major routes on some
Mountains are in big need. On Rainier, there is a solar outhouse at Camp
Muir
and 55 gallons drums at at Ingram Flats which are flown off after the main
climbing Season. Mt. Shasta and Mt. Adams have nothing. ( You do get a
ziplock bag ,paper sack and kitty litter with a target to AIM for paper that

lays on the ground) The 15.00 per person climbing permit would be better
received if you can see improvements. I would be in favor of having these
solar pit stops spaced 20 or so miles apart along say the John Muir Trail.
Some would claim they are eye sores, but would keep the meadows cleaner. The

AT have long been using shelters along their trail and no one calls them eye

sores . We had many shelters in the Olympics Mts. which were destroyed when
new management deemed them " Unnatural". Anyone who winter camps or hiking
for 8 rain soaked days find these damp mice infested building a " God Send"
when you are able to hang all your wet junk out , cook and spead out. I know

of no one who looks and calls John Muir Hut an eye sore. ( esp. in a storm)
If you have climbed Mt. Adams and camped at lunch counter , you know what I
mean. Every rock has a white paper flag flapping in the wind with a land
mine
underneath.  Just my 4 cents!!

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net