[pct-l] Chlorine

I have heard that a couple of drops of chlorine per quart can be pretty
effictive in sterilizing water.  I think that for a short overnight or
weekend trip, this seems like a pretty economical and safe way to go.  I'd
be afraid, though, of the long-term health effects of chlorine bleach in my
water every day over the course of 5-6 months-- dioxin accumulation and
whatnot.  Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it seems like those little drops add
up.  When I was on the trail this year, I saw a couple of folks using some
type of grapefruit seed extract the same way-- a couple of drops per quart.
I'm not sure if that actually kills bacteria or if it's just voodoo, but
seems like at least it might add some vittamin C to the water, preventing
scurvy and related maladies...

Staggerin' Willie
Charter Member of T.H.A.T.H.
(Thru-Hikers Against Thru-Hiking)