RE: [pct-l] Re: Defiant rancher once more loses grazing case, may now go to jail

The rancher's answer is that everything affects the land. It is just a
matter of degree. Further, the rancher argues that the land recovers from
grazing. Cow shit does not degrade the land long term.

The logger argues that trees grow back. They are not, long-term, degrading
the land.

We are not stopping you from using the land say the rancher and logger. You
can camp anywhere you want among my cows or stumps.

Lets be honest, argue the rancher and logger. You just want to keep the land
to yourself. You don't like my clearcuts and cow shit meadows because they
are asthetically unappealing to you.

The answer, of course, is very simple. Force a rancher to pay $100 per head,
per year to use the land. Economically it makes no sense for him to
continue. Force the logger to pay a real price for the lumber, force him to
clear the stumps and force him to only cull, not clearcut the trees and it
is economically unattractive for him to continue.  Force the packer to pay
$20 per day, per horse to enter public land and there is a lot less horse
shit on the trail. Plus, return all that money to the forest.

And, oh yes, every backpacker pays $100 per year to use the land. "No, No,
No", the backpacker cries. "It's my right." Can't you see that you are
playing right into the logger and rancher's hand?