Re: Defiant rancher once more loses grazing case, maynow go to

We were a very different country 100 years ago - a lot less people, no ATVs,
no
giardia in our water, a sense that wilderness was bottomless (and must be
dominated).

Of course these issues are value judgments. My personal apple is that I'd
like
to see some significant chunks of land set aside as foot access only
wilderness.

The difference is that like a mining or logging company, the rancher wants
make exclusive use of public lands to make a private living. Often without
remediating any damage (depreciation of asset) done by that use. Parks are
accessible by all the public (in theory) for our common use and enjoyment.

I'm not keen on use fees, but I'm willing to pay them if the $$ stay where
paid.
I can't do trail maintenance or volunteer usually, so my $$ substitute.

Katt

"Reynolds, WT" wrote:

> Elizabeth,
>
> A difference between parks and profit? Is there? For a hundred years it
was
> open range in America. Citizens could do whatever they wanted on public
> lands. Remember the cattle versus sheep wars of about 100 years ago?
>
> Parks versus Profit a value judgement -- a judgement that recreation and
> parks are a worthy use for public land while profit is not a worth use. I
> agree and I am sure most of this list does also. That rancher does not.
Why

To:            "'Carl Siechert'" <csiechert@hotmail.com>, "Elizabeth A. Foshion" <foshione@dteenergy.com>, pct-l@edina.hack.net