[pct-l] bear stories

Okay the following doesn't have too much to do with the PCT, but it does have
it's share of bears. Once upon a time I was hiking with a group of 9 in the
Olympics. We were off trail and had to do some bushwhacking. Since the brush
was sopping wet from dew, I put on my rain gear and volunteered to go first
and shake as much moisture off the brush so that those behind wouldn't get
soaked. I pushed through for about 100 yards and then came into a clearing.
Less than 20' away was a BIG bear and her cub. Before I had time to react the
cub, who apparently still couldn't see well, ran over to me and nestled
against my leg, probably thinking I was momma bear. I could feel it shivering
in fear. Then it was MY turn to shiver in fear because momma bear was giving
me a look that I hope I never witness again. It reminded me of the look a dog
gives you as it's ferociously barking in anger and about to attack. My jaw
dropped, I stumbled back a couple of feet and screamed "There's a bear here,
watch out." The cub then realized I wasn't momma and ran past momma into the
woods. Momma then followed. About as close as I've ever gotten to losing
control of my bowels

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net