[pct-l] insidiousnous

The reason user fees are so insidious is that they get you used to paying
extra for recreation. When the Federal Government starts to contract out the
management of our public lands due to financial prudence (as they have
already begun), then you'll be used to paying. The corporation will maintain
the trail alright, but let's face it. They will be there to make money, a
profit over and above their obligated expenditures and hikers will then be
subjected to prices controlled by supply and demand. The rich will pay and
the working class will be left in the dust. The corporations are all waiting
in the wings to tap a vast money making well. The best defense is to voice
opposition now and kill it before it grows.
  And why is it that user fee proponents have such a narrow field of vision.
If I were to say that people with kids in school should pay user fees, that
would somehow not be valid. Why should I pay for a school that I don't use?
    And why is it that  climbers and hikers who get injured or lost have to
pay for rescues, but someone who starts a grease fire on their stove or a
fire in an improperly maintained chimney doesn't have to pay a dime to the
fire station for its equipment use. Where's the logic there? Shouldn't all
foolish people be equal under the law?

Cc:            pct-l@backcountry.net