Re: [pct-l] Re: Getting enough calories

Hi Katt,

Your post brought back great memories...

I've never liked tea but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to have
(Tibetan) yak butter in black tea when I was trekking in Nepal.  Where I had
it, they didn't stir the butter into the tea, rather they actually churned
the tea and the butter together.  Given that I don't like tea, I did not
enjoy the beverage but I didn't find it particularly more vile than just
plain tea.

I've never heard of the yak butter called ghee before (though I don't know
the Tibetan name).  Ghee, to me, has always been the yummy clarified butter
mostly used in Indian (likely related?) cooking.  As a matter of fact, I
think clarifies butter is even be more resistant to rancidity than butter.
Can you confirm?  Could be better (although more expensive) to carry
clarified butter through the warmer desert areas of the PCT.

Of course, who knows the variations you can get between Mongolian, Tibetan,
Nepalese, and Indian variations on a theme?

Craving Dhal Bat...

Mara
Besi Sihar to Yak Karka, 1997