[pct-l] Cal. Cutting on the BIG trip

 Most people I met lost a fair amount of weight doing the PCT this year. Of
course, if you have alot of fat( As in my case) , it comes off in a hurry.
Lean and mean hikers tend to lose weight as well. Tralmix  was very fit
starting his trip and still lost a large amount of weight.Of course your
hiking style has a alot to do with this. If you go hard like JeffZ. and
trailmix, you put in big miles and burn alot of calories. If you go slow and
stay in town for 2 or 3 days per resupply, you may lose little weight your
whole trip. ( Even though you will built better muscle mass)  Most hikers
would be helped if they did pack some protein powder of some sort. We all
crave sweets and sugar out when we hit town, but months on the trail with not
enough protein does take it's toll. David Green said it best in 1977 and in
his book. " You end up with the legs of a body builder and the upper body of
Prisoner of War!!"  Sea Kayakers end up just reversed. Your legs look like
you live in a wheel chair after a month in your boat. Your body robs your
upper body's protein to repair your leg muscles. (  Most thru-hikers have "
Bird Arms" after their trip just and Kayaker's have " Bird Legs" after a long
paddle. Bottom line is eat like a pig, but don't forget the protein. ( And
yes, to save any confusion, try to stick with complex carbs, even though they
taste like sawdust)  Nah, I get a blackberry shake the second I hit town, but
have a western omlette for breakfast. Right On!!!!

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net