[pct-l] 1ST Serious (on & off-PCT) snow climb of the season

 Northern Sierra Mountains, CA.
Sonora Pass and Dodge Ridge snow hike/climbs Sept. 1, Oct. 9th; 28th and 29th
2000. (4 trip reports in one!)

Last small storm on the 9th of Oct. we were fortunate enuf to be able to
drive to the PCT @ Sonora Pass & attempt Leavitt Pk. in that Section of the PCT
in a moderate depth (about 10") of snow before our boots got too
wet and feet too cold causing a hasty retreat back to camp.

The previous month we were successful after a 3-day PCT section trek
w/ Leavit Peak as the final destination, after the small Sierra 4" snow
storm of the 1st of  Sept., and stealth bivies in the snow making
the best out of our summer gear in  the moderate (27-35 deg. F )
winter conditions. ( We did fine :-)  )

This storm, Oct. 28, there was no such travel luck; however, today,
we were prepared with gortex pants, gaiters and plastic boots (full
winter climbing gear). Travelwise, the closest we got to the PCT
Saturday was to Kennedy Meadows with a short day hike. And then
today (Sunday, Oct. 29) we ascended a black diamond route up
Dodge Ridge; hiking up the western boundary of the ski route with
approx. 1500 ft. of gain and about 4 miles R/T to ~8900' - don't
recall exactly- as the map was spoiled when snow got in its
plastic wrap:(

The climb in the falling (dense!) snow was quite exhilarating. We found an
open, but unheated control hut, unlocked, for a short break from the wet.
Continuing, we reached the summit under partially clearing skies for an
ok partially sunny view of the Dardanelles's (sp?). Snow resumed quite
hard upon our descent.   All together, it was a very nice 4 hour workout.
Snow depths at elevation ranged from 1.5 to a serious 2'.  Gaiters and
boots were fine but we carried ice axes as there were a few dicey spots
(3 each 10' section of class 4 vertical) coming down which we bunny
hopped down in the  (glorious) powder in a controlled fall down and
over the short cliffs :-)

 Snow:  was mixed powder with "Sierra Cement" as conditions changed. Temps
varied
 between 29-33-29 as the day progressed. Wind was a gentle 2-5 mph at
elevation.

We ended the day with a civilized kalua and coffee and turkey breast lunch
in Pinecrest, CA near the back porch with heavy snow piling up outside the
window as we watched the San Francisco 49ers in another futile struggle
with STL.

Rich