Re: [pct-l] Re: Trail Density

> I will now say for the third time that I was on the Angeles Crest PCT in
> beautiful warm June weather on a Sunday.  I saw only one dayhiker and the
3
> thruhikers I was leapfrogging with(they had 2 fellow also that resupplied
> them from wrightwood, they were not on the PCT).  I don't know if I should
> confuse you with the facts , but here they are:  I was hiking on Sunday,
> June 6, from near road 3N31, past the Wrightwood turnoff(Acorn trail),
past
> the three reservoirs, to near a campground and interpretive center(on
Hiway
> 2).  The Next day Monday, I climbed 7 peaks, and my name is recorded on
the
> registers of 6 of them - I was meet at Islip Saddle.  So you do not have
> believe me, you can check the registers on Throop, Burnham, Baden Powell,
> Hawkins, S. Hawkins, and Islip.

I don't know why I'm being drawn into an inane argument, but the fact is
that Monday is not considered "weekend" in this part of the country. I offer
this information because I realize that thruhikers lose the concept of time
and that every day is a weekend while you're on a long hike. That's the day
you were on the popular--and sometimes overcrowded--section from Vincent Gap
to Islip Saddle that Strider was talking about. (Didja happen to notice the
summit register entries for the day before?) It's crowded on weekends
because of those seven terrific peaks (and a few others nearby). The section
from the Acorn Trail to Vincent Gap is one that sees little use by dayhikers
or non-thruhikers--because it doesn't really go anywhere interesting.

So what's the point of this debate? Some parts of the PCT get lots of
traffic; others don't.