[pct-l] Re: Trail Density

JoAnn,

I trained on that section of the PCT, between Windy Gap to Baden Powell,
every weekend throughout May and June of 1999 in preparation for a hike and
climb in the Sierras later in July.  In May we had the trail pretty much to
ourselves even though it was snow free and the weather was beautiful and we
were only up there on weekends.  As we progressed through June, the weather
gradually warmed up each day a little more to the point where the winds
coming over Windy Gap were in the 90's by 10AM, and so came the people.  Boy
Scouts, people with dogs, runners, day hikers (like us!), weekend hikers,
hiking clubs, Sierra Club outtings, people that shouldn't be there, etc.,
etc.   All good people, all enjoying the air, the trees, the mountains, the
trail, the views, the rocks, the steep slopes.

The first time I climbed up the trail from Crystal Lake to Windy Gap and
found the PCT sign there, my mind realed away down to Mexico and off into the
distance to the Mojave, the Sierras, the Cascades, Manning Park.  I never saw
one thru hiker or section hiker, much to my dismay, damn.  Same thing happens
every time I run into this trail.

You must have come through on a weekday.  Everybody in LA here works during
the week and leaves the mountains to the crazies, like you and, a long time
ago, me.  I would have enjoyed running into you up there.

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel