[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1288

I'm really surprised that people would take offense at someone hiking for
a cause.  First of all, what's the difference between hiking on your own
and being sponsored for doing the same?  I'm not trying to violate
anyone's attitudes, and as far as asking for funding goes, I would NEVER
consider asking anyone on the trail.  Once I'm on the trail, I'm there
with what I managed to raise; frankly, I don't see the difference between
getting $100 from family to hike the PCT (as a friendly contribution) and
getting a backpack to hike it.

It'd be nice to hear someone who is against hiking for a cause to
elaborate on why they are against it; like I said in my first message, I
will be out there on the trail, funding or no, and would be out there EVEN
IF I weren't a diabetic.

I'm trying to send a message to any kids who have a tough time with
diabetes that diabetes doesn't have to be a burden.  What is wrong with
that?

I guess I should reiterate that I'm out there, with or without funding.  I
am trying to let kids know what is possible as a diabetic, and the best
way I found to do that was to coordinate this with the American Diabetes
Association.  I love hiking, and happen to be a diabetic, so I combined
the two.

Maybe this clears some issues up - I hope.  If you're still against my
hiking, I'd really like to know why.

Rob
www.hikefordiabetes.org