[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1288

To Richard: Re raising money for NPOs: You took the words right out of my
mouth. I think what people have objected to in the past is very
high-publicity efforts: leaving business cards all over the place, trying to
get donations from impoverished fellow hikers, and lots of trail-side media
publicity. Absent that, I don't see the objection either. The more discreet
on the trail with your fellow hikers, the better. It would be nice, though,
if the money-raising beneficiaries were in fact trail or wilderness related.
Or even, if you have a passion for another nonprofit cause, if some
percentage of the money you raised went to the PCTA which is, after all, the
"host" non-profit that made your hike possible.

To Staggering Willie:
Bravo!
BTW, the reason the PCT doesn't go through the San Gorgonio Wilderness is
that land managers were worrried about the overuse implications in an area
that already gets quite a bit of use and is ecologically vulnerable.

Re: the Kelty: I tried the Cloud and had trouble because it felt wobbly (from
side to side) and I really like the tight snug fit of my 6 pound (UGH!!!)
Terraplane. I also get neck pain if the fit and ride isn't perfect, but never
from my Dana, so I stick with that. Kelty pr people told me that these packs
are NOT really designed for long-distance hikers, but rather for
mountaineers, who only use them for short bursts. Kelty warns that some
long-distance hikers have found that day-in-day-out use after long periods of
time can cause back strain because of the light padding and suspension. My
husband uses the Cloud. He found that for packweight of 35 pounds or less
(including, obviously, food and water) it's fine. He took it to Maine for a
late three-season hike (snow in the forecast, sub-freezing temps), packweight
maybe around 40 pounds),  and felt a little strain. Since he generally seems
to have no nervous system, and has uncomplainingly carried packs of 70 pounds
on big expeditions, this is notable. He would probably use the Cloud on a PCT
thru-hike.

Karen Berger.