Re: [pct-l] Thru-Hikers Against Thru-Hiking

Willie, you make some excellent points, but what's to stop someone from doing
both in different years assuming you have the time. If you can't, then I
agree your way is best. I through hiked at 18 to 20 miles a day and regret
not taking more time to "smell the roses", but I still wouldn't trade the
experience for anything in the world. Perhaps I'm rationalizing, but I
promised myself that I would go back and hike the trail over again, taking a
much time as physically possible to hike each and every section over several
years.
         On the subject of sponsored hikes for charitable and/or non profit
groups(as opposed to COMMERCIAL use for non charitable organizations),  I
don't see anything wrong. No damage is done and people are helped. Perhaps
those opposed should be more articulate in explaining their opposition
because to date, I don't get their point, but I'm listening.
          On elitism. Isn't the 1964 wilderness act an elitist document? If
so, why was it made that way? There must have been SOME reason. Maybe it was
because special interests had already exploited most of the wild areas of
this country and planned to exploit the rest, but those damned elitist hikers
took a stand and said enough is enough. Anti-elitists, what say you?