[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1287

Just a coupla comments:

Joanne: I think you might see many more PCT users and quite a bit of overuse
if you hiked on the PCT over a period of years in different seasons. I
thru-hiked the trail in 97, but I've also hiked many sections of it in other
months and years and was amazed that one section that had been quite
overcrowded in one year was empty in another just because of the time of the
month or whether it was a weekend or not. Wildernesses where I've seen hordes
include the entire High Sierra, Desolation and Granite Chief Wildernesses,
Klamath Mountains, Sisters Wilderness, Jefferson Park, Mt Hood, Mt Adams,
Goat Rocks, William O Douglas, Norse Peak, Alpine Lakes, and parts of the
Glacier Peak Wilderness. That's just a list off the top of my head, and it
doesn't even count the multiple-abusers on less regulated national forest
lands in northern Cal. One one day in the Wm O Douglas, I honestly thought if
one more person said hello, I was going to scream!!!

As for someone else's post about the ultras not being in wildernesses -- I
believe I already posted that the one I saw was, in fact, in the heavily used
Alpine Peaks Wilderness. However, I found them inspirational and didn't
object.

Karen Berger