[pct-l] When do I start?

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Read Miller <Read@Backpacker.com>.
* Please use <mailto:Read@Backpacker.com> to reply to the sender.

Marty wrote, "Over the years I have hiked 2000 miles of the PCT. I want to hike the
remaining miles this spring.  I will be starting at the Mexican border and
going north to Walker Pass.  The question is when is a good month to start?"

Hobbit's sugestion of attending the kick off in late April and then continuing north with the group beginning through hikes is a good one. However there are advantages to leaving earlier.

The earlier you leave, the more water in the steams, the cooler the weather, the more plentiful the wild flowers and the lighter the crouds. The drawbacks are shorter daylight and snow. For the most pleasant waking conditions I'd plan to leave about the first of March.

There are only two streches that are likly to have significant snow, San Jacinto and Baden Powell. Both are relatively short and are usually not a problem by mid to late March. If your luck is poor and you find some deep snow you still have options. Since the high parts of the trail are only a few miles long you can proceed trough them without losing too much time or you can take a few days off in the nearby towns and weight for the rapid melting to make things easier. If you don't have the time for either of these alternatives you can easily bypass these streches and them pick them up at the end of your walk.

I live in north San Diego County and can see San Jacinto and San Gorgonio from my house so it is quite easy to moniter the snow level. I'd be glad to let you know how thing look.

When I did the southern half of the PCT last year I went over San Jacinto in early March. There was snow for a few miles but it didn't create any real problems. I bypassed Mt. Baden Powel due to a late storm but it was fine a few weeks later.

If you do leave in early March then you can be finished in time to come to the kickoff and give a recent report of trail conditions. You'll be a hero.

Reader