[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1284

I've gotta say that I saw an ultra-trail race while hiking in the Alpine
Lakes (these guys were doing the 75 miles in ONE day). Yes, it was a visual
impact in that we saw a bunch of runners. But what an inspiration they
were!!!

The thing with ultras is that it's a self-limiting market. I mean, there are
even fewer of them than there are of us!!! Let's not fracture our unity by
swatting at gnats when the alligators are at the door. (Okay, okay, it's a
crappy image, but it's been a long day. You know what I mean.) We do need to
be united againt the real enemies.

As for horses: I've only been inconvenienced a few times, mostly by rudeness.
I've seen  the trenches, though, and think commercial outfitters should have
to pay a trail maintenance fee that would correct those problems. There
should definitely be limits on train size. I don't think private horsemen are
an issue. There really aren't that many of them -- and they do trail work. A
lot of it.

Karen Berger