Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1283

equality4all@pcisys.net writes:

<< I am planning a trip on the Pacific Crest trail which will take me (I am
 disabled), my service dog, my Kiger horse, my trail guide (he is disabled)
 and his horse from Mexico to Canada---in 90 days. >>

Cheryl -- Best wishes for a successful trip!  Last year I hiked for several
days in northern California with, or at more or less the same pace, as a
father and son on horseback, with a third pack horse.  They were not able to
make the near 30 mpd which you are planning, at least on that part of the
trail, because of blowdowns and snow.  In fact, I eventually left them behind
at a pass that was snowed in.

A lot of trail work has been done since then in Sections O and P, so your
trip may be less difficult next year.  My advice to you is the same as for
any thruhiker:  Find out as much as you can about trail conditions.  Then,
when you're out there, be adaptable enough to change your plan when
conditions warrant it, rather than keeping to a preconceived schedule at your
own risk.  Good luck!