Re: [pct-l] If there were no horses...

Brick, I enjoy having these civil, well-thought out, discussions without the
name calling and exageration that accompanied some of the former preservation
arguments a few years back.

Brick writes:

<<My question is:  do you expend limited resources fighting a small damage
problem, or a big one?>>

Compromise?  Are you asking me to compromise after my long diatribe on
incremental degradation?  I don't think so.  Every battle is worth the fight.
 Some are short, some are longer.  Some require lots of people, political
mite, money and influence, some require little.  The decision on the wise use
of limited resources must be in the court of who owns the resources.

If I fight my whole life against logging on and near the PCT and win, only to
loose many smaller fights that I could have been fighting concurrently along
the way then have I used my limited resources wisely?

People who live by the saying "You have to pick your fights" compromise on
the small things in order to win the big. In some parts of my life I must
live this way, at home, at work, on the road, etc..  However, in my opinion,
the trail is not my home town, or a trail through a local canyon, it is THE
most beautiful trail through THE most beautiful areas on the Pacific coast of
the U.S. (and arguably over a larger geographic area)  We don't have enough
wilderness areas in the Sierras, we don't have enough incredibly scenic,
ice-laden volcanoes in Washington in order to be complacent about the ones on
the PCT and allow them to be squandered away and overrun through neglect and
carelessness.  The PCT is a gem, a rare gem that is to heralded and
protected.

And for fracturing the user group by alienating the Backcountry Horseman is
not really a concern since you even indicated that this is a small group.
I'll take the tradeoff there!

An analog of an overwhelming problem (like trying to protect the PCT from all
of the potential harms to it, not just the major ones):
In southern California the Air Quality Management District was given the
authority to mandate elimination of air polution emissions in the Los Angeles
basin some years ago.  They began by going after the major sources first: the
multitude of cars, refineries, chemical plants, power plants, metal plating
companies, etc.  However, they recognized that the multitude of small
emissions from a wide variety of sources made up a significant portion of the
problem.  Instead of putting all of their resources just going after the big
sources, they concurrently went after the little ones too.  They restricted
barbecue lighter fluids, paint thinner, silk screen printing inks, dry
cleaning fluids, lawn mowers, etc., etc.    Oh, a lot of people and
businesses were very upset that this new authority could just come in and
make these mandates and cause so much trouble!  But nothing had worked in the
past.  Several agencies had tried and tried to clean up the air in Sth Cal
for decades with no success against the powerful interests deeply rooted
here.  So an idea was hatched to collectively put the a wide range of lawful
authority into the hands of a central organization focused upon the complex
problem.  I was born and raised in Sth California and have seen firsthand the
air progressively become clearer and clearer over the years.  I cannot
remember the last Stage 1 Smog Alert (a warning given over radio and TV not
to exercise or exert yourself outside due to unhealthful conditions) that was
announced here.  Back in the 60's and 70's they were a common occurence every
summer, happening once a week or more.  The AQMD has been very successful and
can boast of great progress.

The problem of maintaining the trail and protecting it from degrading
interests is a complex one that only a hard line position will be successful
with.  I draw the line here and wont back off.  I raise the PCT as a gem that
is to be protected as one would protect the crown jewels of England.  Perhaps
it is time to create a central authority (the PCTA?) that has jurisdiction
over the entire trail and be given the power to enforce its mandates.  The
danger in this, of course, is inherent.  For example the central authority
over the National Parks, the Park Service, does not have too good of a record
over the years in protecting its resources (albeit, recent events promise
good things).

I guess that I compromise so much in my life, living in the Los Angeles area,
that I find myself going radical when it comes to areas that are so precious.

Then again, I don't think that individual runners are harmful to the trail,
after all we can't really establish speed limits!  However, large, organized,
commercial events seem to be contrary to the spirit of the trail.

For instance, it was once considered by the organizers of the ADZPCTKO to
seek commercial sponsership and media coverage.  However, we quickly realized
that this would end up becoming an event contrary in nature to the attitude
of the thru-hikers that we were trying to help and celebrate and to the
nature of the PCT.  So, we intentionally keep a low profile, shunning the
media and refusing commercial sponsership.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel