Re: [pct-l] knee problems

Hi,

I can relate to knee issues.  I too have experienced pain in both knees, more so
in the right knee while hiking.  After about 15 years of discomfort, I finally
bit the bullet and got it checked out this summer.  I had the MRI taken and then
came the arthoscopic knee surgery (in and out same day surgery).  I am presently
in the recovery stages.  The MRI showed a tear to my lateral meniscus and ACL.
The doctor was more concerned however with the degeneration of my knee.  The
cartiledge looked like that of an 80 plus yr old (and I am 43) so he cleaned
everything out.  He said more than likely the other knee had the same
deterioration.  My bad knees probably stem from 15 plus years of pounding
aerobics.  I gave that up about 5 years ago due to the pain and swelling that it
caused my knees.  I got interested in hiking at that time and became immediately
addicted.  I used a knee brace off and on for hiking and a hiking stick which is
great for times when you think the knee is going to give out.  The brace gave me
peace of mind that my knee was being supported but there were times when the
brace was annoying and irritated my knee.  I found no magic cure for the pain.
I put off the inevitable longer than I should have.  The knee is healing fine
and at 4 weeks into my recovery now I've already done a 4.5 mile weekend hike.
It felt wonderful.  I had no problem at all with my knee hiking, just a bit of
swelling afterwards only because I'm not a very patient patient.

Good luck to your friend.  I would encourage him to get it checked out as soon
as he's in a position to do so.  It'll make his life so much more enjoyable.

Kathy