[pct-l] knee problems

A friend of mine that loves to hike has had curtail most of his hiking in
the last few years due to pain in his knees. He says that after about 6 or 7
miles, his knees start to swell and after about 9 or 10, he is basically
through. I suggested a trip to the doc and an MRI, but he is not in a
position to do something like that right now.

He was wondering what could be done in the short term to help alleviate some
of the pain and swelling. Anybody have any experience with this? Would a
knee brace help ?? I sympathize with his situation as he and his fiancee
love the outdoors but haven't been able to do very much of late. All help
would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Randy